Skip to main content

Valia Tamvaki: Epic poems

I do not know who is going to read this text and in return the reader probably does not know me either. However, I think I would like to bridge this gap. 

I have been involved with ZID since Karolina started directing Odyssey until now, with FATE project. I am not sure how familiar people outside Greece are with the epic poem of Odyssey, but since I am from Greece, I would like to share some information about it. This epic poem was composed before even the Greek language was formed and passed on different generations through storytelling and songs. It follows the previous work of Homer, named Iliada which focuses on the war against Troy. Odyssey describes the long journey of coming back home to Ithaca (20 years). In both epic poems the cruelty of war is exposed. Gods are deeply involved in the story, making things complicated for the hero, who has limited power over his own fate. 

A vital concept of the Greek culture is present in Odyssey: Philoxenia. Philoxenia means hospitality and the word is formed by two words Philos= Friend (such as philosophy) and Xenos= Unknown/Stranger/foreigner (such as xenophobia). In ancient Greece Gods were very passionate and emotional; on top of that, they had the ability to transform into animals or people. Greeks treated unknown people (xenos) as if they were Gods, since they were scared that it could be the case; a xenos could be a God in disguise. Until today, philoxenia is a complex, moral code with deep roots and many levels. 

The three key concepts of philoxenia, storytelling and journey have been part of my experience with ZID also in the FATE project. The theater opened its doors to unknown people and warmly welcomed everyone. During the training, people have been searching for their own Ithaca, the place they want to reach, through a journey rich in cultures, personal stories, contemporary issues and artistic languages. The originally unknown people, became friends (filoi) who supported each other and shared their stories. FATE started as a training which developed into a journey of artistic exploration and made participants wiser and richer in experiences and emotions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

William: the tools to take me further

Start: The first tool for me is always the motivation to start the journey to the desired goal. As soon as I have the motivation to start, I hardly stop then.    1) As soon as I start my journey, I’m trying different ways to find out my strengths and weaknesses. In this particular case it could be to try different disciplines in the art or different roles in acting.  2) One of the most important tools for me is the ability to keep myself connected with the reality. It means, that though dreaming is important, but also realizing the possible difficulties is vital. The road can be long, but I’ll take my horse and I’ll just ride.  3) No matter what can happen, defeats or victories, the show must always go on.  4) Hardworking person can achieve many things. If you want to have something, work, work and work.  5) Some people may become tired from the long journey, from all the difficulties that may seem eternity and they can at the last step stop and give up. We should keep in mind that whe

Delal: Photos and a video from WAYS

  These photos and videos are by Delal Yuce.

Sevde Yildirim: Reis naar een nieuw wereld

Sinds drie maanden begon ik een nieuwe reis met FATE-project. Dit project is tot nu toe het meest opwindende en waardevolle moment in mijn leven geweest. Ik heb twee verschillende project gemaakt. De eerste was theater performance met verschillende achtergrond deelnemers. De tweede was een filmproject over vrijheid. Het was ontzettend leuk om met andere mensen samen te werken, ervaringen te delen en nieuwe ideeën te genereren. Dankzij dit project verbreedde mijn perspectief en creativiteit vaardigheden en kreeg ik de kans om mezelf meer te ontdekken. Ik voel me nu meer sterker en gemotiveerder om mijn dromen waar te maken. Ik wens dat de dromen van al mijn vrienden die bij dit project betrokken zijn, uitkomen. Met dank aan Sebo en Zid Theater die ons altijd ondersteunen. Groetjes, Sevde